Fifth Grade Curriculum
Our math curriculum is taught using Math in Focus: Singapore Math by Marshall Cavendish/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. This program is accessible on-line.
In fifth grade, there is also an optional math olympiad team for accelerated opportunities. Examples of the standards topics covered include mastery of operations with large numbers, fractions, decimals, probability, geometry, statistics, measurement and problem solving using various strategies including bar models.
The Singapore Math concept uses concrete pictures and bar models to introduce mathematical concepts, which leads to a deeper understanding of abstract math. Math is made authentic through real world applications.
Our language arts curriculum is taught using a variety of programs.
- Textbook: Voyages in English by Loyola Press is used for Writing and Grammar.
- Introduction to a 5 Paragraph Writing style, utilizing the RAPS writing Method.
- The writing process (prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, and publishing)
- Writing applications (analytical, persuasive, expository and narrative, descriptive, poetry, and letters)
- Google Classroom for note taking, digital assignment submission, essay writing, and teacher feedback.
Textbook: SRA Open Court Reading Level 5 by McGraw-Hill is used for literature as well as:
- Literature based curriculum
- A variety of pre-selected books from various genres are used to focus on literary analysis and literary elements
- Literature circles develop critical thinking skills as well as comprehension and speaking skills
- Accelerated reader supplementary reading program
- Readworks - Digital Reading Comprehension Skill Building
- Reader’s Theater to develop speaking skills
- Textbook: Sadlier Vocabulary Workshop Level Blue Enriched Edition with iWords Audio Program is used for both Vocabulary and Spelling
The 5th grade religion curriculum is based on the foundations of Catholicism and the Christ our Life series by Loyola Press Publishers is used along with the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
In 5th grade there is an emphasis and review of the Seven Sacraments: Baptism, Reconciliation, Confirmation, the Eucharist, Holy Orders, and Matrimony, and the Anointing of the Sick. We dive into the richness of the doctrine of the Catholic faith and of each sacrament throughout the year to help students better understand their faith. In 5th grade students also receive their own Bible and they begin to read, pray with, and study the Bible more in depth.
Our social studies curriculum uses the Harcourt series titled The United States: Civil War to Present. Examples of the standards topics covered include the Civil War, westward expansion, the 1920’s, the Great Depression, World War I, World War II and the Modern Era. We also cover major units on geography and government. In the Spring we make a field trip to JA BizTown where the students run a simulated town for a day to exercise their skills in economics, communication and citizenship.
Textbook: Scott Foresman Science: See Learning in a Whole New Light by Pearson Education, Inc.
- Life Science: Cells to body systems, Microscope used to observe various types of cells, Frog dissection to help visualize the organs of the human body
- Earth Science: Protecting Earth’s Resources, Weather, Water on Earth
- Physical Science: observe and discuss properties of matter, Physical vs Chemical changes, Periodic table and elements, Observe and discuss chemical reactions, Study topics of forces and motion (Newton’s Laws of Motion and Simple Machines)
- Space: Stars and Galaxies, Earth in Space